Friday, July 9, 2010

I believe...

Kim over at the  The Inadvertent Farmer wants to know what we believe this week about our gardens.  So I took my camera out this morning for my daily morning check of everything.  Here's what I found:

I believe the boxes I let the kids plant all by themselves was a great idea!  I gave them my box of seeds a few weeks ago and let them fill up the boxes and plant whatever their heart desired.



The bush beans are really starting to come up and they are so thrilled.  She looks really excited, huh?  Well, she woke up right as I was going outside and insisted on coming with me. 


Then I went into my garden and I believe I almost cried.


My poor kohlrabi is done, kaput, and needs to be put out of it's misery.  Honestly, I don't even know what a kohlrabi is.  I've never seen or eaten one.  I just thought it sounded cool. 



Apparently, these evil things thought it sounded good too.  I guess I'll never get to try a kohlrabi.

I believe that I WILL have winter squash even though I planted it really late. 



I believe that my cucumbers will take over the world!



I believe that these are the cutest peppers ever!



I believe that my corn is finally almost as big as everybody else's corn that I see while driving home.



and my tomatos are now bigger than my child!  This is a first for me! 



Please excuse her clothing.  She likes to sleep in her daddy's t-shirts.

I believe that watching her peek into the zucchini plant to see how big they have gotten over night is the cutest thing ever!



I believe I'm going to need a wide variety of zucchini recipes soon.



Even though it's not as big as others, and things are growing slowly, I believe this is the biggest, best garden I've ever had!



And for my last belief, I believe these are the most evil creatures in the world.


Especially, after one of them squirted me with green juice when I squished it.


I really wish they'd leave my beautiful tomatoes alone!





There's one more thing I want to share that's totally unrelated to gardening, but it's really cool.



One of our tadpoles has his little froggy legs!!

7 comments:

  1. That was a great post!!
    I believe every daughter loves to sleep in a Daddy shirt!

    I am so glad we don't have those awful green monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh that is the best post! Love the daddy t-shirt and your garden looks fabulous.

    I have never seen such a huge critter on a tomato plants...ok except the camel incident with the heirloom tomatoes but that doesn't count! Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching everyone's kids have so much fun in the gardens. Awesome tadpole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool tadpole! We have frogs in our pond, but we never see them until they are full grown and sitting out on the lily pads.

    Love the yawning pic - my son was doing that the other day, too, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! Caterpillars ate my kohlrabi to shreds too, but it's come back from it and I've been harvesting it. If you pick them all off, and give it some time, you just may get to try kohlrabi yet. (This was our first year. It's fabulous!)
    Your garden really looks great, I look forward to seeing more photos as it grows bigger and bigger. Glad to see you've got such a good little helper out there, too!
    What do you feed your tadpoles? We have a few in a jar and I've not the slightest idea of how to properly care for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks fantastic! Sorry about the tomato hornworms. They are absolutely disgusting creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments everyone! Julie, we feed our tadpoles fish food flakes and spinach or lettuce a few times a week.

    ReplyDelete